Requirements to complete six month pre-membership training
- To be eligible to apply for membership in the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Department (FVFD) you must:
- be at least 18 but not over 55 years of age.
- have lived, or worked forty hours a week in Ferndale for at least six months.
- be willing to attend meetings, drills, new member training sessions (all of these are on Thursday evenings), other activities and respond to calls day and night.
- Complete the FVFD Membership Application, and submit it to an officer of the fire department or mail it to PO Box 485, Ferndale, CA 95536.
- You may be invited to apply in person at an Officer’s Meeting. These are held on the Monday evening before the first Thursday of the month. If the Officers agree to continue the application process, you will need to complete the following:
- Obtain and submit a DMV printout. (The short version, $5.00 from DMV)
- A physical exam is required, at the Department’s expense to be arranged with a health care provider appointed by the Department.
- A background check will be conducted.
When these steps have been completed the Chief may notify you that you have been approved to begin the probationary process which is usually at least six months.
- If you accept, you will be added to our roster as a probationary member.
- You are expected to attend every meeting and drill during your probation and also to participate in new member training sessions, company drills and other activities as scheduled.
- Do not respond to calls until authorized to do so by a chief officer. You must be listed on our insurance policy before you may participate in any way.
- You will be issued personal protective equipment, a pager and other gear worth approximately $3,500.00. It is your responsibility to take care of this equipment and return it when you leave the department.
- Once invited to respond to calls, initially respond to the radio room to observe how calls are handled by FVFD personnel, and to learn radio protocols. A chief officer or designee will invite you to ride on the apparatus as appropriate situations arise.
- During your probationary period you will also be expected to secure your class B or B-Fire learner’s permit or driver’s license, and to begin medical training at the First Aid, First Responder or EMT level.
If you are interested in joining the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Department, please contact any of the members, or attend one of our monthly meetings at the Fire Hall, which is located on Brown St. The monthly meetings are held at 7:00pm, the first Thursday of every month.