2010 started off with the building of the new fire hall annex. When the 2005 Spartan was ordered, it had to be carefully spec’d so that it would fit in the hall. It barely made it with just a few inches to spare. When the Peterbilt tender was acquired, it had to be parked outside as it was too tall and long to fit in the hall. As new apparatus continued to replace older engines and tenders, it became obvious that we needed more room as everything was getting bigger.
So when Nilsen’s moved from their downtown location to their new location, FVFD purchased the lot where the old Nilsen barn was and plans were drawn up for a new annex building. FVFD members helped in the whole process. Doug Brown drew the plans, Terry O’Reilly did the engineering, and Dennis DelBiaggio’s DCI Construction took care of actually building it.
Ground breaking was in April, and construction was finished just before 4th of July. July 3rd the donated flag pole was installed, using the 1898 Hook & Ladder Wagon to transport it from Valley Lumber to the hall.
In 2010 FVFD also adopted the state wide numbering system for apparatus. This numbering system makes it easier to identify apparatus at mutual aid incidents. The first two digits represent the agency, FVFD is 73. The next digit represents the type of apparatus it is. The last digit is the unique number for that apparatus. So for example, Engine 1 is a type 2 engine so it is referred to as 7321.
With Facebook becoming the dominant social media web site, in 2011 Matt Knowles started up a Facebook page for FVFD. Our first post was announcing that Utility 7 was back in service. As of 2015, we have nearly 900 followers on our Facebook page.
A new roof and siren tower was installed on the fire hall.
Matt Knowles began scanning the old photos in our archives and posting them on our history web site. From that web site you can search the posted photos by keywords such as person’s name or apparatus to find related photos, and you can select your favorite photos and purchase prints, or have them applied on items such as t-shirts, mouse pads, coffee mugs, etc.
To help the community and the department, the FVFD provided free reflective address signs for houses in the country. These highly visible blue address signs make it much easier to identify locations while we’re responding to fire and medical emergencies.
To help track personnel responding, the hours and details of calls, and the status of apparatus, FVFD implemented the I Am Responding system. This system allows firefighters to call in as soon as they start responding. As firefighters start calling in, their status is listed on a large TV monitor in the hall, and in the radio room. Chiefs and others can also track responders through a phone app. Tom Grinsell was instrumental in getting the system up and running, as well as entering all of the member’s volunteer hours so we can track them.
Matt Knowles redesigned the main FVFD web site (this one) to make it mobile friendly and greatly expanded the content, providing new sections for the historical fire apparatus, and more of the department history.
FVFD took delivery of the new Engine 3, designated 7313 on May 17.
Just in time for the July 4th rides, the annex got some new bling, as the Est. 1897 was added.
Water Tender 7365 was replaced by a used International chassis with the tank from the old Tender 6 that was retired in 2009.
Work continued on the restoration of our 1955 American La’France engine, including removing the water tank so that it could hold passengers for the 4th of July rides.
FVFD received a donation of a Polaris side-by-side quad from Ferndale native son Guy Fieri. The quad will be used for rescues on Centerville Beach and the Eel River riverbar.